about us

A social group of dedicated fly fishers who are passionate about fly fishing in the tropical north of Australia and equally as passionate about the close camaraderie this sport brings. This passion and dedication led to the creation of the NT Flyfishers Social Mob blog site; an interactive and creative outlet where everyone can share our wonderful fly fishing adventures and link into the “after fishing” social events we enjoy in this incredible part of the world.

Monday 13 May 2013

INSIGHT ON MANINGRIDA

Maningrida is a total disaster thats a big statement, the week I just spent there managing ABNL, made me feel empty. There are so many people doing nothing because there is nothing to do. It seems the greatest casualty is incentive, the school bus drives around in circles playing music and nobody gets on everybody seems to sit idle and gaze vacantly.

"Did I mention the Dogs". The biggest non fishing highlight was when I ran over a dog, 10 chased me one went under the trailer, you could hear the yelping from anywhere in Maningrida and the looks I got were real bone pointers.

Why am I bothering to say this, its because there is a workers camp finished last year and doing nothing. Why cant we  go there, pay to rent a room and use the boat ramp, buy stuff at the shop etc.?
It seems the answer is that the walls of apartheid do not allow exactly what they need, integration and assimilation, the place is slowly becoming a time warp.

I'm bringing this up because like every time I go there (on good tides) I'm amazed at the quality of fishing. The Liverpool, Rolling Bay Junction Bay and the Goomadeer are so good. I managed and guided, with 4 boats on the water we  achieved over 6 days 1100 barra, lots in the 80's and  90's. This was exactly the same time and tide as the barra Classic compare that result!

The biggest fishing Highlight for me was when 2 old Trouties 84  and 81 found out I was a Flyfishing Guide.  I took them out for the day and this 84 year old after 65 years caught his first Barra the more sprightly 81 got 10 as well. Offshore there are huge GTs, Queenfish, Coral Trout, Tuna, Snapper and some great Giant herring, even pulled a few Cobia of a big Manta Ray.

I'm toying with the idea of organising something there. Personally I rate this place as the best Barra Fishery I know with access, its doesn't have as much visuals as Bynoe flats but every snag or drain seems to turn them up.

Dotty never got there, I got kicked of the plane Friday night because Air North haven't figured out you cannot fit 30 people on a 29 seater, "dipshits", had to wait another day to get home.

Back to Bynoe 19th for the best tides in May
Cheers Graeme


1 comment:

  1. Graeme you are a bloody legend. How wonderful that after all those years, you put them onto barra !! I can just imagine their utter feeling of satisfaction with life !

    ReplyDelete