about us

A social group of dedicated fly fishers who are passionate about fly fishing in the tropical north of Australia and equally as passionate about the close camaraderie this sport brings. This passion and dedication led to the creation of the NT Flyfishers Social Mob blog site; an interactive and creative outlet where everyone can share our wonderful fly fishing adventures and link into the “after fishing” social events we enjoy in this incredible part of the world.

Wednesday 31 December 2014

Hunting On Intuition

One of the greatest factors for me in hunting fish is following an intuitive perception of what's going on around me.



Fortunately I'm long over detailed preparation, its inbuilt .The most common question by people who come fishing with me is " what's the plan", fair question, and other than saying what direction I'm going in which isn't guaranteed I think,  anything could happen out there and usually it does .



When I point my boat one way or the other I appreciate that there are a certain number of factors that remain relatively consistent ( to see why click  'The Game Plan' June 2013)


Tide positions, moon phases,time of year and water temperatures etc
My biggest weapon  in this is what my intuition is saying, no way  everything out there is in your face there are very many subtle yet real indicators that consciously are not seen  often only a perception.

Many times I have started to hunt along a favourite flat for all the right reasons, five mins later  I choose to leave because my intuition is telling me their not there,I can confidently say I learnt the hard way in  ignoring that.


A decent part of this is appreciating your peripheral vision, understanding the conscious reality you are looking at and defining where it ends and how you perceive that border area your brain has hold of and maybe not your eyes. I know for me  the only leg in to this will be an intuitive thought.


In other words plan or no plan I'm going where my head is leading me, subtle changes such as egrets along a bank ,are they all still ? or do they casually hop along following the fish , indent marks behind a snag or depression on the bank that you know the Barra have been inhaling mullet and spitting them out to eat head first,other fish life be it bait or other species , if there is no signs of stingrays ,crabs , bait etc best decision is to vacate because fish all have some sort of symbiotic relationship happening and if a lot of its missing. Guaranteed I will be to.

I'm just looking,( most of the time I'm not the final act, that's the caster,)  when thats your reason for being there you start to suck everything in between your eyes and the horizon

My biggest danger is driving around  thinking I wont find any fish, or keep using a fly someone thinks isn't working, if it gets eaten while thinking that you will probably miss it on the basis its not supposed to happen.



My brain and I'm assuming  others works in pictures and emotion, you want a reality to happen create it,if that reality is not finding fish and being pissed off about the whole deal guaranteed you will by pass a good spot just to prove it to yourself.


 After 17 seasons and well over 2000 days on the water my biggest asset has been developing my intuition , these days I very rarely question its subtle leads.

Have a great New Year
Cheers Graeme

No comments:

Post a Comment