about us

A social group of dedicated fly fishers who are passionate about fly fishing in the tropical north of Australia and equally as passionate about the close camaraderie this sport brings. This passion and dedication led to the creation of the NT Flyfishers Social Mob blog site; an interactive and creative outlet where everyone can share our wonderful fly fishing adventures and link into the “after fishing” social events we enjoy in this incredible part of the world.

Tuesday 3 June 2014

ENTHUSIASM IS INFECTIOUS

Hi Cathie,

Thanks for a great few days out at the shelter, the fishing was not spectacular, but it doesn’t have to be too have fun. If I see fish I am happy. After spending a day in the Orange Marauder, I learnt you and Rog are of the same mindset. Enthusiasm is infectious. I wish the Barra we saw had the same enthusiasm towards eating. To see so many good casts go fruitless was a little frustrating, but that’s the flats. I did go to a dark fly the next day.

Graeme’s recent write up on high water Barra was spot on for the Barra pictured. I hit the flat on the incoming and found the water was way higher than I would normally fish it. I was out of the wind so was happy to sneak along the mangrove line looking for any sign of a fish. This fish was laying head down, tail up under a sizable branch. It was tough getting an accurate cast in under the branches and after about a dozen attempts, six of those right on its nose, it wouldn’t eat. I shortened the fly by about an inch and on the next cast, the dark tail disappeared followed by that satisfying feeling of good weight on the rod. Ecstasy was quickly followed by panic as the Barra launched up through the branches. The joys of short casts in tight spots. This fish wasn’t huge but was one of the more memorable fish I have landed. Funnily, the only other Barra I saw that day was on the high tide in the morning, on a flat that I thought would not be worth fishing due to high water.

The Barra was on Coopers too

I love Bynoe, and the advantage of staying for a few days is being able to hold the bar up for a few hours at the end of a day’s fishing…I could only imagine Rogers form on origin night…..I’m guessing you didn’t make it onto the water on Thursday.

Thanks again.


 Dave Friebel

No comments:

Post a Comment