about us

A social group of dedicated fly fishers who are passionate about fly fishing in the tropical north of Australia and equally as passionate about the close camaraderie this sport brings. This passion and dedication led to the creation of the NT Flyfishers Social Mob blog site; an interactive and creative outlet where everyone can share our wonderful fly fishing adventures and link into the “after fishing” social events we enjoy in this incredible part of the world.

Thursday 17 October 2013

LAST WEEKEND BYNOE WRITE UP - THE STIG

Mobsters,

Fished Bynoe on 13th, enjoyed Saturday evening at the sand palms chatting with all and sundry.

On Sunday I had a blast, annoying scrappy queenies, mackerel and trevs first half of the day, and left the water round 12:30.

Early on I was continuously dripping wet in sweat in the hot humid and still conditions till the wind kicked up at 10:30am, it had been 'oil calm' from 8am - wonderful conditions for spotting fish moving about. Hung around Knife Island from dawn with fish every few casts, casting to working birds and regular surface bust ups. In first few minutes of coming off the plane and putting electric in the water - I had caught five species in only nine or ten casts (sadly no barra or salmon for the time on the water - I really need to work on my experience and skills with these species more actively and intently!). I caught Mackerel when casting left and deeper water, while hooking queenie and trevally when casting towards shallow water near the island.

I Snagged (i.e. Fluked) one of the tiniest snapper I have ever caught and a very lonely looking 53cm tarpon mixed amongst the above to round out my five species. I did see a huge bow wave making bait behavior erratically and a quick long cast leading the commotion saw a strong take and hook set. An immediately typical high & crazy jump told me I had a monster of a queenie hooked - which then saw the fly line scoot out quite rapidly, the fly line was quickly followed by my first colour of backing (150m) but (aaaarrrrgggghh,,,@&$%#£€¥!!!!) - a small joining knot between first lot of backing and my next lot snagged the line just long enough to break the leader at the hook knot 200 or so metres out, it was a sad long handle wind getting all that line back on reel - oh well next time! Man, that line disappears off the reel soooooo fast when they are bigger!!!

So I had a great day - but it almost didn't happen.

When I got to boat ramp following in Lord Jim's dust trail in the pre dawn light from sand palms
Jim had just launched, parked his ute and got in his boat as I launched mine.  But, I didn't have a deckie to drive the boat off as usual, so I snap launched it, and to mine and my dead father's horror and with much turning in his grave as he was a truckie of renown who supposedly taught me knots - my knot to hold boat to trailer once launched slipped, which saw the boat floating away and me looking real stupid and lonely on shore.

Luckily Jim and Dasher heard my pitiful and embarrassed scream for help and took the time to nudge my boat towards shore for me. So thanks guys because if it wasn't for you I would have had to wait for Roger to launch his boat and he would still have been sitting at the boat ramp sledging and laughing at me.


The Stig

1 comment:

  1. Me!!!! sledge and laugh.....hang on just fell off the chair..all this laughing is doing my ribs no good...sorry mate, cant help it. I must comment on you being in Jim's dust too. The reason he leaves two hours before the rest of us, is that he drives so slowly over the dirt, it allows him to reach the ramp the same time as the rest of us....(is that sledging??) ..oh, and by the way.....have a look at this link it may help...
    http://www.animatedknots.com/indexfishing.php

    ReplyDelete